PROCEDURE FOR USING THE RAGLAN / MADLEY WAVE BOXES
1) Ring the Cardiff Duty Officer on 01446712564, tell him what club you are from, and ask for both the Raglan and Madley wave boxes to be opened about
30 mins from your call, until dark. NB Usk GC may have already phoned and asked for the box to be opened.
2) Give them the call signs of the gliders that may want to use the box.
(They will usually ring back to confirm the airspace is “ours” for the times requested).
3) In flight before you reach the box note the QFE setting on your altimeter then set QNE.
3) Radio Cardiff on 119.15 when you are about to enter the box. Use the correct radio procedure stating your current position, height and
4) Stay on 119.15 whilst in the box and listen out as Cardiff may call you. Do not use this channel to chat to your mates as it is a commercial
5) Keep strictly within the box and do not encroach into the airway. To know you position accurately you must have a moving map display
with up-to-date airspace on it. Remember the wave boxes only go up to FL195.
5) Call Cardiff once you have descended out of the box and then change channels back to 130.10 and reset your altimeter to QFE.
6) If all the gliders from our club have landed back please ring Cardiff again so that they can release the boxes earlier. (Make sure you tell them this applies
to our gliders only. Usk may still have gliders in the box).
PS If you need to contact Usk GC, their number is 01291 690536